Jun 30, 2014

Imperia, Italy

While in the south of France last month I took a side trip to Imperia, Italy which lies along the Ligurian Coast on the Italian Riviera. Imperia was created by Mussolini in the 1920s when he combined Porto Maurizio, Oneglia and surrounding villages.


Oneglia has a colorful harbor with a variety of eateries lining it. Yachts and fishing boats share space in the harbor.


Porto Maurizio is a hilltop medieval village overlooking the Mediterranean.


You can easily spend hours wondering its steep alleys and back streets. 


Both tend to be less visited than some of the more tony neighbors, such as San Remo. This is part of their appeal in my opinion.  They are worth a visit if you happen to find yourself in the vicinity.

These are a few the images I took while there.

3 comments:

Clay said...

Great pictures. I looks like a great place to lazily lay back and enjoy the day.

Wendy said...

Clay, Thanks and it is a great place to enjoy the day.

Cristy said...

What a good spot for a little unwinding. I also love how these photos are taken since all colors are springing up, and it gives me the sense of creativity.